Friday, January 23, 2009

Institute of Official Cheer


Web surfing in the mid-1990's was not as varied and entertaining as today. It was slowly transitioning from simple, text-based sites and very long lists into full-fledged, graphically-pleasing web sites.

I'll never forget the first time I came across The Institute of Official Cheer. I lingered for quite a long time, taking in all of its unique foolishness. It is a section of the domain lileks.com. James Lileks, the site's author, has a brilliantly unique way with words.

I can honestly say that I've experienced side-splitting laughter reading some of the sections. Perhaps it's because I'm old enough to have experienced these things in their original context. Perhaps it's because they are truly hilarious. You can be the judge.

There are quite a few more sections on this web site since my first viewing and I go back there every once in a while to experience a refresher dose of tickled funny bone. A couple of my favourite sub-sections have been made into books by the same name.

The Gallery of Regrettable Food - It wasn't all that long ago that food photography and old recipes were all like this. YUK. I'm ashamed to say that I own a lot of these types of recipe books, which were given to me by my Mom during my concerted efforts to learn how to cook in the 1970's.

Interior Desecrations - After you finish marveling at these interior design wonders, you might also want to browse around another section called The Grooviest Motel in Wisconsin. Seldom has decorating strayed so far from the path of good taste.

James Lilek's fashion pages are a hoot. If you don't have the time to look at all of them, you simply MUST check out the fashions in The Dorcus Collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments that exceed the barrier of good taste will be deleted. I reserve the right to arbitrarily decide.